This morning we received interim results on Cybin’s Phase 2 trial using its CYB003 psilocybin compound for depression. This trial is the company’s lead program, using its proprietary deuterated form of psilocybin that’s been shown to have improved characteristics like shorter duration of effect and faster onset of action.
Cybin investors — and the industry as a whole — have been waiting for these results. And they did not disappoint.
- Robust response and remission three weeks after single dose, with 53.3% of patients responding and 20% of patients in remission (no longer meeting the clinical definition of depression) vs. 0% for placebo
- A mean -14 point reduction from baseline between CYB003 (12mg) vs. placebo (on the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale “MADRS”)
- Favorable safety and tolerability profile with no serious adverse events
Very strong interim results for Cybin and its lead CYB003 program. For context on how these results compare to current depression medication submitted to the FDA using MADRS scoring:
“…pooled data from 232 industry studies of current standard of care antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), submitted to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) (Stone et al, 2022) show an average improvement of 1.82 points vs. placebo”
That’s a 14-point reduction for CYB003 vs a 1.82 average for comparable antidepressants. An impressive contrast between current treatment options and the potential of psychedelics like psilocybin. If these results hold for the upcoming Phase 3 trial, then Cybin may indeed have a compelling new depression treatment to offer patients and the market.
“With these encouraging results in hand, we look forward to sharing the full complement of topline data later this quarter, and 12-week durability data in the first quarter of 2024. Our planning continues as we prepare for a larger international, multisite Phase 3 trial in early 2024 to further evaluate the safety and efficacy of CYB003 in people suffering from MDD.” — Doug Drysdale, Chief Executive Officer of Cybin
See the full press release below.
Cybin Announces Unprecedented Positive Phase 2 Interim Data for CYB003 in Major Depressive Disorder Meeting Primary Efficacy Endpoint with Rapid and Significant Improvements in Depression Symptoms After Single Dose
October 31, 2023
– Interim readout shows rapid, robust, and clinically significant reduction of depression symptoms three weeks after a single 12mg dose, with an unprecedented mean -14 point Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale (“MADRS”) score reduction from baseline between CYB003 (12mg) vs. placebo (p= 0.0005)
– For reference, pooled data from 232 industry studies of current standard of care antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), submitted to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) (Stone et al, 2022) show an average improvement of 1.82 points vs. placebo
– Robust response and remission three weeks after single dose, with 53.3% of patients responding and 20% of patients in remission (no longer meeting the clinical definition of depression) vs. 0% for placebo
– Favorable safety and tolerability profile with no treatment-related serious adverse events at 12 mg dose
– Full topline data on track for Q4 2023
– Company to host conference call to discuss CYB003 interim results on Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 11:00 a.m. ET
TORONTO–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Cybin Inc. (NYSE American:CYBN) (NEO:CYBN) (“Cybin” or the “Company”), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to revolutionizing mental healthcare by developing new and innovative next-generation psychedelic treatment options, today announced Phase 2 interim results for CYB003, its proprietary deuterated psilocybin analog, demonstrating a rapid, robust and statistically significant reduction in symptoms of depression three weeks following a single 12mg dose compared to placebo. At the 3-week primary efficacy endpoint, the reduction in major depressive disorder (“MDD”) symptoms, defined as change from baseline in MADRS total score, was superior in participants assigned to CYB003 compared to the participants who received placebo by 14.08 points (p=0.0005, Cohen’s d=2.15). A p-value indicates statistical significance. Generally, values <0.05 are considered statistically significant and values <0.001 are considered highly statistically significant.
CYB003 (12mg dose) demonstrated a rapid and statistically significant reduction in symptoms of depression at three weeks after a single dose, meeting the primary efficacy endpoint (Graphic: Business Wire)
“The overwhelmingly positive interim results for the 12mg dose of CYB003 are extremely encouraging for patients and providers. The efficacy demonstrated at that dosage showed an unprecedented reduction in depressive symptoms compared to currently available treatments,” said Doug Drysdale, Chief Executive Officer of Cybin. “With these encouraging results in hand, we look forward to sharing the full complement of topline data later this quarter, and 12-week durability data in the first quarter of 2024. Our planning continues as we prepare for a larger international, multisite Phase 3 trial in early 2024 to further evaluate the safety and efficacy of CYB003 in people suffering from MDD.”
The Phase 2 clinical trial is evaluating efficacy using the MADRS scale, with a primary efficacy endpoint of reduction in depression symptoms (change from baseline in MADRS) at week 3 after a single administration. To date, dosing has been completed in all dose cohorts up to 16mg, with a favorable safety and tolerability profile and no treatment-related serious adverse events observed. Interim results from the 12mg dose cohort have demonstrated a statistically significant and clinically meaningful reduction in symptoms of depression with a single dose at three weeks after treatment.
The MADRS is a 10-item, clinician-administered scale designed to measure overall severity of depressive symptoms in subjects with MDD. It is widely used in clinical trials and accepted by regulatory authorities worldwide as a measure of symptoms of depression. The MADRS includes items ranging from sadness of mood, reduction in sleep and appetite, to difficulties in concentration, anhedonia, and negative and suicidal thoughts that are scored from 0 to 6 giving a total score ranging from 0 to 60. Typical score ranges for severity are: 0-6 normal; 7-19 mild; 20-34 moderate; and >34 severe depression. In the CYB003 study, mean baseline total scores on the MADRS were 32.6 and 33.3 in the active and placebo groups, respectively.
Summary of CYB003 12mg interim efficacy data at three weeks:
- Rapid and statistically significant improvements in depression symptoms observed after single doses of CYB003:
- Improvements in depression symptoms evident on the day after dosing, reaching a peak 10 days after dosing, and maintained thereafter.
- Robust and statistically significant reduction in depression symptoms compared to placebo at 3 weeks, with a -14.08 difference in change from baseline in MADRS for CYB003 vs. placebo (p=0.0005)
- Robust response (≥50% reduction in MADRS) and remission (MADRS scores ≤10) rates at three weeks after single dose:
- 53.3% response rate for CYB003 (12mg) vs. 0% for placebo
- 20.0% remission rate for CYB003 (12mg) vs. 0% for placebo
Safety and tolerability:
- CYB003 was well tolerated with no drug-related Serious Adverse Events
- All Adverse Events were mild or moderate in intensity and resolved spontaneously without intervention
“These positive interim safety and efficacy results support progressing to pivotal studies. We plan to request an end of Phase 2 meeting with the FDA in early 2024 to align on Phase 3 trial design, and we are commencing dosing with a capsule formulation of CYB003 in the bioequivalence cohort and further manufacturing of GMP materials that will be dose flexible, patient friendly and commercially scalable. This is an exciting time – not only for Cybin, but for the entire psychedelics sector – as we now have interim results showing a significant improvement in depressive symptoms with a single dose, moving us ever closer to delivering on our mission to improve the treatment landscape across the spectrum of mental health disorders,” concluded Drysdale.
Cybin’s Chief Medical Officer, Amir Inamdar said, “Mental health disorders affect almost 1 billion people worldwide. Comorbid MDD occurs widely in medical and psychiatric disorders, including anxiety disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder. These interim results, together with emerging data from a number of academic studies, suggest that CYB003 may have therapeutic efficacy in range of mental health conditions.”
Full topline safety and efficacy data from the CYB003 MDD study is expected by the end Q4 2023, with 12-week durability data anticipated in Q1 2024. Cybin plans to submit this topline data to the FDA and request an end of Phase 2 meeting to be held in Q1 2024. Recruiting for a CYB003 Phase 3 study is anticipated to begin by the end of Q1 2024.
The Company also expects to share topline Phase 1 data for CYB004 and SPL028, its proprietary novel deuterated N,N-dimethyltryptamine (“DMT”) compounds, before the end of 2023, supporting the initiation of a Phase 2 study in participants with generalized anxiety disorder in Q1 2024.
The archived webcast will also be available on Cybin’s investor relations website on the Events & Presentations page.
About the Phase 1/2 CYB003 Trial
The Phase 1/2 trial is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating CYB003 in participants with moderate to severe MDD and in healthy volunteers. Participants with MDD received two administrations (placebo/active and active/active) three weeks apart and response/remission are assessed three weeks after each dose. MDD participants in the trial that are currently being treated with antidepressants are allowed to remain on their antidepressant medication.
The study is evaluating the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, and psychedelic effect of ascending oral doses of CYB003. In participants with MDD, the trial evaluates rapid onset of antidepressant effect on the day of dosing, using MADRS to evaluate the incremental benefit of a second dose of CYB003 when administered at Week 3. An optional period of assessment will help determine the durability of treatment effect out to 12 weeks. The study is listed on ClinicalTrials.gov under Identifier: NCT05385783.
The post Cybin Announces Positive Phase 2 Data for Phase 2 Depression Trial appeared first on Microdose.psilocybin dmt n-dimethyltryptamine dimethyltryptamine psychedelic analog major depressive disorder depressive disorder depression antidepressant anxiety serotonin psychedelics investors cybin fda